Every time I ask this question of my clients, I am amazed by the lack of response or the simple answer, “I don’t know.”
It is as if I asked, “How many miles from the Earth to the moon? “– because there is often a look of utter bewilderment. It appears as though we have been so caught up in the art of being busy that we have forgotten the definition and purpose of self-care.
So Give me a Hint – What is Self-Care?
“Self-Care includes any intentional actions you take to care for your physical, emotional, and mental health.”
~ University of Kentucky
“Self-Care is any necessary human regulatory function which is under individual control, deliberate, and self-initiated – it is learned, purposeful, and continuous.”
~ Wiki (yes, I quoted Wikipedia)
There is a common message in these definitions….
SELF-CARE (stopping long enough to refill your cup),
so you can THRIVE physically mentally, and emotionally,
ONLY occurs when YOU set the INTENTION
and take ACTION (no one can do this for you)!
To one woman, sitting in a lawn chair reading a book in the sun is heaven and to another it is a 6 mile run (personally, I prefer the book). For some, self-care is a daily ritual with a scheduled quiet time, and for another woman it is a random dinner event with girlfriends.
Self-Care is unique to each person, and the possibilities are endless. If this is of interest to you, consider attending the next Self-Care Reset Workshop!
Here is a glimpse of what you can expect:
• Reset your old mindset that may have sabotaged self-care
• Develop a clear understanding as to where you are spending your time – ready to break the “Not Enough Time” Syndrome (this exercise alone is priceless)
• Awaken what brings you joy and lights you up inside
• Discover several self-care moments you can do anytime and anywhere
• Create a detailed Self-Care Plan for the summer/fall/winter/spring to keep you off the bottom of your “To Do List”
• Set your own Power Anthem
• A private Facebook community to connect with the hosts and other attendees (a great way to stay accountable with your goals!)